Welcome to the first "official" Inner Excavate-along post! This week we are exploring Chapter 1 of Inner Excavation. Today's video shares a bit about this chapter and a few new thoughts I have around the chapter theme. Tomorrow, book contributor Kristen Perman stops by to share about her photo walks and how they've changed now that she lives on the west coast. And then Thursday, we will all meet here again to connect about the Chapter 1 prompts we have explored this week (and you will be able to link up to your prompt responses in that post).
A few things you will want to do as we get started (if you haven't already):
- If you haven't ordered Inner Excavation, now would be a good time as you will need it to join in on the fun!
- Join the Flickr group: all you have to do to join is a) have a Flickr account and b) click "join this group."
- In the "Introduce Yourself" discussion thread on Flickr, share a bit about yourself, share your blogs and connect with other Inner Excavators.
- Choose a journal/notebook to work with during the Inner Excavate-along.
- If you would like to receive email updates when a new Inner Excavate-along post appears on my blog, sign up here: (note this isn't my regular newsletter, you can find it here).
And remember, you can join in at any time throughout the seven weeks and beyond.
In today's video, I share how I've begun using my journal and dive into the theme of Chapter 1: I begin.
This week's prompt: This week, I am taking a series of photos inspired by the pinecones in my hand photo that appears in "Scenes from This Day" in Chapter 1. I am also going to write a short "I am..." poem from the prompt in the book and then put the poem + photos together into a simple collage in my journal. You can play along with this series of prompts OR choose any prompt from Chapter 1. You also have the option of "doing your own thing" inspired by the chapter.
A few notes from the video:
- I mention David Whyte's poem "The Well of Grief" found in River Flow: New and Collected Poems and my interview with Kimberly Wilson.
- Contributors: I read Jen Goff's poem from her interview in Chapter 1. And I mention (partner-in-crime) Kelly Barton and her mixed media piece from this chapter.
- If you are sharing your photos on Instagram and Twitter, use the hashtag #innerexcavatealong (and feel free to post photos on Flickr throughout the week, you don't have to wait until Thursday).
- The music at the end of the video is "What Next?" by Hello MTN.
- Washi tape from Pretty Tape (and Target has some great "paper tape" right now in the stationery section)
- Cover sticker letters are by MambiSTICKS from Michael's
- Coin envelopes
A note about comments: Please use the comments of today's post to connect with me and ask any questions or share your experiences so far with Chapter 1. If you do ask a question, I will reply in the comments so look for my response there.
Thank you so much for coming along! In the Flickr group, consider sharing photos of your journals and maybe even of yourselves as a form of introduction today.
(Find out more about the Inner Excavate-along here.)